Saturday, December 27, 2008

What the...?

Today was quite an eventful day at work. I mean, we were so busy. It was insane. I hardly had time to think straight, let alone get any of my tobacco order put out. Again. 2nd day in a row. Beyond frustrating.

Around 4:30, I had about 3 customers in my line, and I noticed that one of them was excessively loud and obnoxious. Nasty, greasy, stringy hair. Nasty, stained tshirt: 3 sizes to small. Nasty, stained shorts, falling far to low and exposing some icky beer gut and ickier plumbers crack. Goody. When it came to be his turn, I tried not to gag on the smell of 3 day old alcohol on his breath. Prayed that he simply wanted cigarettes. I wasn't so lucky. He demanded whisky. Oy. I quickly pointed him towards the liquor (which is right behind my register), sweetly telling him to select his whisky, and come back through my line. As soon as he was out of earshot, I quickly flagged down a supervisor. Its policy that we can't sell alcohol to anyone that is visibly intoxicated. I told her that I would need some support to do this, because I've never had to deny alcohol before. She agreed and radio'd (not EVEN a word, sorry!) a manager up to my register. Finally, it was Drunk's turn again. And I was dreading it. I wasn't sure how to initiate this conversation of "guess what? no booze!"

Drunk: Found my whisky!

Me (stalling): Great! I'll be just one moment, I'm getting some quarters.

Drunk: Great! Need my ID?

Me (still stalling): That'd be awesome!

Drunk (turning to the people behind him): I'm getting carded!! HAHAHA!

Drunk (turning to me): I'm so F___ing drunk!!

**Bingo!! WIDE open line to the "guess what? no booze!" conversation!

Me: REALLY? That's too bad. Unfortunately, Wal Mart has a strict policy against selling liquor to intoxicated customers.

Drunk (bewildered): really?? Since when?

Me: That's always been our policy, sir. I'm afraid I won't be able to sell you any liquor today. Is there anything else I can get you?

Drunk: seriously? I guess I'll go to Circle K then

Me: Ok. They can sell it to you if they'd like to.

*At this point, I think he was expecting me to cry out in pain that he suggested taking his business elsewhere, but I wasn't budging. At this point, he became aggrivated**

Drunk: Well fine then! You know what? You're fat and ugly and I'm not!

Me (in my head): REALLY dude?? Really? Great comeback man!

I'm told that when he tried to get in his truck (that's right folks: he drove!!), his pants came completely off and he just stood there. Nice.

When it was finally over, I was shaking SO hard and I honestly was fighting back tears. Not because of what he said to me. I could care less about what he, or anyone, thinks of me. I think it was just the adrenaline. Nichole (supervisor) was shaking really hard to. Tim (manager) told me over and over again that I handled it extremely well, and that he was very proud of me.

The rest of the day, I was told that I have horrible customer service a few times because people were trying to get stuff at 50% off that wasn't supposed to be on clearance (non-holiday merchandise) and I wouldn't let them. Bunch of cheap skates. And because my debit/credit machine went on the fritz and decided not to work. Yeah-because I control the dumb thing. I swear it has a mind of its own.

The only good part about today was that I did the paperwork that makes me a permanent employee. =]

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

People can be so so dumb! You did good tho...that would be very stressful! I'm sorry ya had to deal with Mr. Stinky and his alcohol! Congrats on the permanent job...very very exciting!